2009-03-03

 

Three Complaints about the Internet

I have three big gripes about the Internet.


One, CONTENT ERRORS:

I am very anal about errors on the Internet. When I find an error on a website, I want to be able to report it, and have the site fix it. But, with these big websites, I find VERY annoying that there is 1) almost no way to contact them, 2) I never hear anything I want back, and 3) they don’t fix the error.

Yahoo! is at the top of my list. But, also eBay, Microsoft, Reuters, FBI.gov, MarketWatch, etc.

I think that this is something that these big entities are dropping the ball on.

So, here is what I want (maybe there already is one and I don’t know about it):

I want ONE central website to report errors too (fixweberrors.org or some such). To act as a central repository for errors. Then this site can work with those other websites to fix errors. So, if you find an error on, lets say FBI.gov, and you can’t find a way to contact them vie email (good luck trying, the only way to contact them is by phone or mail, which I won’t do, do not want to do) you can go to the site and report it, and the people at the site will have a contact with FBI.gov, and the error will get fixed.

Now maybe I shouldn’t worry about errors on the Internet, but it bugs the crap out of me. And, there has to be other anallites out there in surfland.

There is potential business model here for a website, and one that could help other entities with their sites.


Two, OUTSIDE SUGGESTIONS to improve their site/business, etc.:

And, when I do hear back, I sometimes get something like this: 'We can not take outside suggestions for our website.'

Well, to that I say: up yours.

Some guy suggested something some time back, and then when a company did it, him/her sued the company stating it was their idea. So, now there is a blank policy not to accept outside suggestions.

All you need to do is have a form on your website that the user must check giving up all right to the idea. The click "accept" and that is it.

If you have to, after you get a suggestion, mail them a release and have them sign it and send it back.


Three, LACK of DUEL SPEED sites:

I want websites to have two sites, low-band width and high-band width. There I sites that I refuse to visit and use because they offer no low-band width option.

I am out of work, have dial-up, and can not go to some of these websites. I can't afford it and will not pay to upgrade.

So, if you want me and users like me to frequent your site, you will have low-band width content. Have transcripts for videos. Have a way to download videos instead of watching it online. MSN Videos are especially annoying. You go to the site, and try to watch a video, and since you can't stand the nails-on-the-chalkboard choppiness of starting and stopping, you mute it until it is done caching it the first time. Problem, after it takes an hour to cache, it moves to the next video while you are not looking. Then you have to try and find the video again because you don't see it on the menu to the left. ARRRGGGG!!!!

I know that you want us to upgrade and you are secretly pushing us to do so. These websites are wanting users to upgrade with high-speed equipment (cable modems, DSL modems, etc.) and high-speed bandwidth service (cable internet, DSL, etc.).

But, as a little guy, I so NO. I'll just surf somewhere else, or do something else.


Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?